Breaking the Ice
You have just prayerfully (hopefully) joined your first Christian dating site to make some new friends and hopefully meet someone special. You see a nice guy or gal that you would like to contact. But then you freeze! “What am I going to ask this person?”, you think to yourself. “I could use some tips on what to say to start a conversation” you say. We at Tulip Singles wanted to give you our suggestions based on the many people we have spoken with on to help in this endeavor. We have come up with five conversation starters ideas for Christian dating sites that we have compiled for use on Tulip Singles, our Christian dating site for reformed singles.
Starting a conversation whether you are a man or a woman can be a bit daunting. Fear of rejection or asking a dumb question is the primary reason why many of us don’t write that first introduction to another Christian dater.
The truth is that asking a thoughtful question is an attractive quality to reformed Christian daters, especially online Christian daters who quickly tire of vague questions like “How are you?” and “How was your day?” On a dating site, a more targeted inquiry like “What are your pet peeves?” or “What’s your favorite place in the whole world?” stands out and invites a reply.
When you meet someone online, you have to create a connection through that initial conversation. Good questions are like stoking a fire. If you pile enough wood on, the conversation starts to warm up.
Here are 5 basic tips to help you get started!
- Open with a greeting (hi, hey, hello, etc.) and put the name of the person next to your greeting if possible. Don’t be dull and leave it there though!
- Find something that stood out to you about their profile. It can be something as simple as a book they’re reading or an activity they enjoy. Comment on that!
- If you have something in common, be sure to mention it. This helps to establish a connection between the two of you.
- Comment on a photo or video they uploaded on their profile and offer a sincere compliment. Don’t get carried away though for the first time!
- A little charm and charisma go a long way! Don’t be afraid to open up your first message with something funny. Who said Calvinists can’t be humorous! 😉
God is ultimately in control
Remember, as Calvinists, we believe God is in control of every aspect of our lives, including our dating lives. He has also given us our communication gifts (some people more than others), to ask thought provoking questions. Use discernment, pray, seek godly advice, and use some of the above ideas to start a conversation with the person you are interested in getting to know. By using some of these conversation starters for Christian dating sites, you can be confident that you will have more success in starting conversations with other reformed online Christian daters. Remember, how you write intriguing conversation is the first step in getting the first date. To join Tulip Singles and create an account to try out some of your discussion starters, click here